Step inside a 19th-century railway station and discover for yourself what went on beneath its vast arches. Superb cutaway illustrations provide a vivid and intimate insight into every corner of the station:
* Trace the planning of the railway line, the tunnels and the viaducts;
* Watch the station being built, with great cast-iron girders, glass and wood;
* Stand near a busy platform and observe the colourful crowds;
* Visit a signal box, learn about all the gears and levers;
* See inside the engine shed, and how a steam engine works;
* Meet the variety of railway workers, with their special uniforms and badges;
* Walk round a railway kitchen as the travellers' food is being prepared;
* Examine the specialised railway carriages, the mail trains and the royal trains;
* Share a luxury compartment with a family off on holidays.
The finely drawn illustrations are combined with a clear easy-to-read text and detailed captions. The book also includes a glossary and index. It will bring history alive!
288x225mm, 48 Pages, Hardcover